Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DIY Tufted Headboard with Frame

So, a couple of months ago I came across a tufted headboard in Pier 1 Imports and my hubby and I really liked it. I've been wanting something more for the bare walls of our bedroom for a while and this would look awesome! However, it cost about $300. Yeah, that's a little too much for my liking.

It didn't take me long to find some nifty DIY videos online to build up some confidence that I could tackle this one myself. Once I convinced hubby, I started buying the supplies I would need. I waited for the best deals at Joann's and bought the supplies I needed. Since there are already a lot of great tutorials on how to make an upholstered headboard, I'm not going to try and explain it myself. And the truth is I just want to show off some pictures of the one I made. lol. But, if you want to make one yourself, here are some good resources to get you started:

Addicted to Decorating
BYOV
Design Sponge Video - not tufted, but still helps with the concept

Okay, back to me. Below are some of my best shots of the main components and the final project. But don't be fooled by the other tutorials or from my photos. This was a lot of work and it took more time than I expected. If we didn't have the frame though, it would've taken a lot less time.

My lovely yellow wooden frame
 When I convinced Jacob that we could make this headboard, he said we needed to make a frame to go with it. With the help of Lowe's, my Dad, Jacob, some wood putty and paint - I like how this frame turned out.

Main Tufted Headboard
 Once I gathered all of the supplies to make the actual tufted headboard part, it wasn't too difficult. The foam was the most expensive part, but with a 50% off coupon from Joann's I think it was about $25. I chose an ivory cotton fabric that went well with my duvet color. Since the frame was bright yellow and there's already so much color in my room, I wanted something neutral.

My new headboard hung up in my room!
 I love how it turned out! It definitely adds a lot of character to our room and goes with our style really well. I am so glad this project is finished and it was fun working on it with Jacob.

1 comment: